Hello, Fall! Good to see you again.
October is the best month of the year. Why? It’s my birthday month (holla!), breweries are prepping for Oktoberfest, and the food….oh, the food!
Many cooks have prepared baked apples to welcome autumn, but my recipe incorporates chopped dates and walnuts with oatmeal to bring home real fall flavor. Leave room for dessert tonight because you will want to gobble up the entire apple. They serve well with vanilla bean ice cream too!
Here are the instructions for Baked Apples with Oatmeal, Dates and Brown Sugar:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash two Pink Lady Apples. Core out the inside without penetrating the bottom. (Remove about half of the apple’s core.)
3. Add the butter to a small microwavable bowl and heat it about 10 seconds until it’s melted. Add remaining filling ingredients. Stir to combine all thoroughly.
4. Stuff each apple with the filling.
5. Set apples upright into baking dish. Add enough water around the apples until the bottom surface is covered.
6. Bake apples at 350 degrees for one hour. Serve warm. Devour.