- Take yourselves on a Christmas light tour mission. Your mission is to find the yard with the largest holiday inflatables, park the car, and take a selfie with fat inflatable reindeer.
- Stop by a party decor store and buy wintertime props for a photo booth. Then head to a friend’s house, ring the doorbell, and sing a Christmas carol while wearing the props. Who doesn’t love a a couple singing in Santa hats and glasses toting a bottle of wine to share?
- Find matching massage chairs at your local big box store and enjoy a free 20 minute massage while you pretend to care to buy one.
- Bring your own travel size Irish cream liquor to the coffee shop. Spike your coffees when no one is looking. You’ll giggle like you’re a teen again. Risky.
- Find an empty parking lot and spin out doing donuts in the icy snow. Then, actually go out for donuts.
- Swing by the grocery store and buy dollar movie candy on your way to the theater. The twist is that you must not show one another what you’ve bought for them until seated in the theater. Should you choose to also sneak in beverages, say beer perhaps, but be sure to open the cans during loud scenes so you’re secret boozing goes undetected. Of course, decide who the designated driver is before you start your movie theater antics.
- Bundle up on a snowy day, head to the park, and make snow angels. Don’t forget your selfie stick.
- Go to an indoor sports park and compete against each other on the rope swings and see who can jump the wildest into the foam pit. Grab a pizza on your way home since you’re bound to work up a an appetite. You don’t want to ruin the fun should someone get hangry.
- Pack a gym bag and head to the YMCA to sit in the hot sauna together. Hot tub anyone?
- Find an area of your town that the local shuttle or trolley travels through and hop on and off at locations you’ve never visited.
- Attend a Final Friday art exhibit. It’s been awhile since you sat in art class. Go get your critique on.
- Declare today your dog’s birthday (or second birthday if you actually know their birthday) and take your fuzzy mutt on a trip to the pet store to pick out a toy and bag of treats. Happy Birthday to your fur baby!
- Build a snow igloo. (Everyone builds a snowman. Boring!) Think of your igloo as a fort in the snow. Better yet, build two snow walls to use as defense during an intense snowball fight.
- Make a cheese, meat, and fruit tray. Pour some vino and have Happy Hour by the fireplace.
- Go to The Dollar Store or Tuesday Morning and buy a summer landscape puzzle to complete together while your favorite summer playlists blares in the background. You’ll be dreaming of summer and conjuring warm thoughts in no time.
- Play a game I’ve coined called The Cheer-Up Challenge. When you’re out shopping for the holidays or in an airport, make an effort to smile at strangers. (Do it naturally when you happen to lock eyes otherwise they may think you’re unnaturally happy aka “weird.”) Make it a competition to see how many people each of you can get to smile back. The winner, at the end of the time declared, buys a sweet treat for the other. Kindness keeps giving!
- Watch a documentary on Netflix. Learning and lounging, yea!
- Search online for an all-adult tropical vacation destination. May I recommend Mexico all-inclusive resort? Book it then celebrate with fajitas for dinner.
- Visit Barnes and Nobles and pick out books for one another based on each other’s likes. Grab a blanket and snuggle up on the couch to read.
- Have a White Elephant gift exchange for two. Exchange zany, cheap gifts for one another.
Admittedly, these date ideas are random and that’s what makes them fun. The ideas require you to tap into your kid-at-heart spirit. Sure, you can rent a movie or watch evening television indoors with your significant other. But you’ve already done that, right? Instead, smile until your cheeks hurt while trying something spontaneous. Which date idea will you try this winter?
Let me know what ideas you have fun for a kid-less wintertime date night in the comment section below. I’d love new ideas!