Do you love cheese? Do you love spicy food? Then you’re going to love Smothered Green Chili Burritos made with two kinds of cheese, grilled peppers, and low-fat ground turkey!
My original intention was to make cheese enchiladas, but I got the idea to make smothered burritos after locating a few key ingredients in my refrigerator and pantry. I consider this recipe to be low-carb since it used lean ground turkey and low-carb tortillas, but to be honest, it is loaded with decadent cheese so I’ll let the jury decide! (The green chili sauce recipe is an adaptation of one I saw on From Valerie’s Kitchen. My complete recipe version uses so many swaps it’s become my own.)
To make the burritos, it’s as easy as stuffing the tortillas with filling, placing them seam-side down in an oil sprayed baking dish, and smothering them with homemade green chili sauce and warm queso and baking them! Once removed from the oven and slightly cooled, you can add additional toppings such as diced tomatoes and green onion and cilantro leaves. If you like black olives or sour cream, heck, add those as well!
Depending on your heat tolerance, you could add hot sauce to any step of this recipe. The green chili peppers (de-seeded) bring enough heat to the dish for most people but I enjoyed adding a few dashes of hot sauce to the sauce. I used 5-6 chili peppers (purchased during a popular Hatch green chili sale at a local nursery and later grilled and cooled) and chopped them up into small bits. You don’t have to use grilled chilis and can make this recipe with canned, diced green chilis as well.
Later, I used the diced chili to make the sauce to smother the burritos with AND for the filling, a real flavor punch!
The burritos were delicious! I knew I had a hit recipe on my hands when my boyfriend said, “This is in the top 3 recipes you’ve made this year! You need to write this one (recipe) down.” In my house, that’s a win!
The sooner you get started, the sooner you can eat! I know you’re going to love this dinner made in under an hour. Let me know if your family enjoys them as much as mine does by leaving a comment below!
One Delightful LIfe
You'll love these cheesy and spicy green chili burritos served warm from the oven!
30 minPrep Time
25 minCook Time
55 minTotal Time
- Green Chili Sauce:
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 3 T. flour
- 1 c. chicken broth
- 3 seeded and diced grilled green chilis
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- heavy pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Burrito Filling:
- 1 lb. 90/10 ground turkey
- 2 diced seeded grilled green chilis
- 1/2 c. shredded Mexican cheese mix
- 1/2 c. sour cream
- heavy pinch salt
- pinch black pepper
- Queso Sauce:
- 3 oz. of Rotel®
- 4 oz. of Velvetta®
- Extra Ingredients:
- 1/4 c. shredded Mexican cheese mix
- Diced green onion for garnish
- Diced tomatoes for garnish
- 1 1/2 T. cilantro leaves for garnish
- 8" low-carb tortillas (7-8)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13"x9" glass plan with cooking spray and set aside.
- To Prepare Green Chili Sauce:
- Add vegetable oil to saucepan and bring to low heat. As soon as you smell the oil heating up, add the flour until it become a paste-like consistency. Then, whisk in the chicken stock until completely smooth. Add in the remaining ingredients and bring the sauce to medium-high heat. Continue to whisk occasionally until thickened. Set aside when the sauce is thickened.
- To Prepare Queso:
- Add the Rotel® and Velvetta® to a small glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave 15 seconds and remove to stir with a spoon. Return bowl to the microwave and continue this cook/stir method until the cheese reaches a smooth consistency. Add Rotel tomato liquid to thin it out if necessary.
- To Prepare Burrito Filling:
- Cook the ground turkey in a skillet until completely browned. You shouldn't need to drain grease from it since you're using a 90-10 mix.
- In a large bowl, combine all the burrito filling ingredients including the crumbled ground turkey and mix well.
- Fill each tortilla with filling (make a heaping log shape of filling) and then roll the sides of the tortilla towards the middle, then roll the burrito away from you to finish it. Add each burrito seam-side down to the prepared, glass baking dish in a row-like formation.
- Cover the burritos with the chili sauce, queso, shredded Mexican cheese, and heat in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the exposed corners of the burritos are golden and the sauce has slightly darkened.
- After allowing the burritos to cool a few minutes, garnish them with toppings and serve warm.
You could swap the ground turkey for any meat of your choice. You could also use flour or large corn tortillas instead of low-carb ones.