Call me thrifty. I love to repurpose stuff. I save money and get to use something “new.”
If you’re like me, you appreciate finding new purposes for old household items. It comes as no surprise that I would think, “hmmm, how can someone re-use orange peels?” and then create 5 Ways to Use Leftover Orange Peels to Improve Your Home post just for you. Random? Maybe. Awesome? Definitely. Most people just discard the peel, which is a waste literally and figuratively.
- AS A ROOM FRESHENER. Fill a small pot with water. Add orange peels, a cinnamon stick, and sliced apples to this stovetop potpourri (simmer on low) and your home is smelling phenomenal in no time. If you prefer the smell in cinnamon in fall and it’s July, add orange peels to a essential oil diffuser with a spring scent.
- USE THE ORANGE ESSENCE AS PART OF A CLEANING SOLUTION. Add the peels of 2-3 large oranges to a mason jar. Fill half way with white distilled vinegar. Secure lid and store in a dark place (like your pantry or cabinet) for at least two weeks. Strain the orange-infused vinegar and pour using a funnel into an empty spray bottle. Top off with water and you’re good to go! Spray countertops or the inside of the sink to clean it and add a pleasant orange smell.
- REFRESH YOUR GARBAGE DISPOSAL. Use the old orange peels that you strained from the cleaning solution you made and put them down the drain. Run the disposal. Ahhhh the sweet smell of orange!
- INFUSE VODKA. Add orange peels to a vodka bottle in your liquor cabinet, secure lid, and store unopened for a a few days to a week. It’s martini time. Yes, that improves your home! You deserve a martini after all that house cleaning, right? I like Chef Jamie Oliver’s how-to recipe post for Homemade Citrus-Infused Vodka.
- STORE IN YOUR BROWN SUGAR. Don’t you hate it when your nearly full bag of brown sugar becomes rock hard because it wasn’t an airtight seal? Adding orange peels to your brown sugar will keep it soft and add a subtle orange flavor. You only need one or two peels for a bag of brown sugar.
You’ll never be able to toss an orange peel in the trash again! You’ve got the tools to make your house a citrus-happy home. Now, orange you glad?