I was just in New York and we enjoyed a tasty mahogany clam boil and steamed lobster at a family gathering on the deck. Nothing brings a crowd like announcing that you’re serving fresh seafood.
Once we returned home, I was still craving seafood. But in this landlocked state, lobster is a high-priced delight. So, I made Poor Man’s Lobster Rolls using imitation lobster meat, which was delicious!
This version of a lobster roll is reminiscent of one from Maine since it is mayonnaise based and served in a split-top, buttered hot dog roll. I prefer dill weed, celery seed, and Old Bay Seasoning with a pinch of pepper for the seasoning base. Stuffed full!
- 7 oz. imitation lobster meat
- 1/3 c. mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 T. scallions
- 1 T. celery leaves
- 1/4 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. celery seed
- 1/8 tsp. dill weed
- pinch black pepper
- Run a knife through the imitation lobster meat to give it a rough dice.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Optional garnish: celery leaves, celery seeds, and scallions.
- Serve cold spooned into center cut, buttered crusted hot dog rolls. (You can also lay a bib lettuce leaf inside the bun prior to spooning the lobster mixture into the roll.)
You can substitute imitation crab meat instead.
Tell me in the comments section if you enjoyed this recipe. It’s so tasty!
Leave a Reply